G/Capt Sammy Wroath CBE AFC* 1909-1995
Gp Capt Wroath joined the RAF in 1925 as an engineering apprentice at Halton, transferring to flying duties in 1931. During most of his Service career he has been associated with test flying,
first as a test pilot and then, in 1943, when he had the responsibility of forming the Test Pilot's School at Boscombe Down, later to become the Empire Test Pilots' School. He subsequently did two tours of duty in the USA, the first as chief British test pilot responsible for liaison and flight
testing of American aircraft on behalf of this country, and the second in connection with operational proving schedules. From 1953 to 1957 Gp Capt Wroath was back at the ETPS as commandant, and on his retirement from the Service in the latter year he joined Blackburn & General Aircraft for liaison duties in connection with the NA.39. During his Service career he completed some 4,500 hours' flying on approximately 300 different types.